Saturday, January 10, 2015

Upcoming!

I have a somewhat big week coming up, as compared to the last month and a half of my life (well, minus surgery)... And just felt like writing a bit about that and what's next. I see this page as my outlet to document, share, connect, and to make myself happy, so if it starts to not make sense to you, keep in mind that it does to me.

When I moved down to St. Pete for my surgery, I had a job lined up. My offer was recently revoked because of the way I talk with the splint in, even though my employer was aware of this beforehand. Feeling discriminated against and hurt, I applied, called, interviewed, and was shot down like crazy but finally have been offered a very good position at a facility I love. Monday starts my circuit of pre-employment procedures, and will determine if I am fit for the role, so fingers crossed! I am staying realistic, but hopeful about it all.

Next, I have my six-week check up with Dr. Piper on Tuesday, where he'll see me for just a short period of time, see how I'm doing after the surgery, and answer any questions. It's not until three months that he orders a new CT and the works.


I've been spending a lot of time on the beach, and it seems to be the best cure for anything - bad day, too much on your mind, boredom, loud neighbors, anything. I'm lucky to be so close to some of the most beautiful beaches here on the Gulf!



My neck is still KILLING me and Dr. Hobbs says that skeletally, I look great, it's just muscular work now that needs to be done. He has advised me to correct my posture and work on strengthening the muscles that are causing problems. When he first saw me, he would touch a muscle in my neck and the surrounding areas would jump and spasm, but he says that that has subsided and everything "looks" great - but it just doesn't feel great yet.

Two days ago, I got back into the gym for the first time in almost four months, which used to be a religious routine for me and is something that I've really missed. It's been really difficult, not being able to breathe out of my mouth much at all, and adjusting to having lost all of my strength and about 20 pounds of weight. My starting weight was about 136-138 and I am now 113. I'm trying to pack in some protein and build muscle to get back to a healthier weight. I'm not sure if gaining or losing is more difficult, as I can now say I've experienced both.

I went roller skating last night and was terrified I'd fall on my face! No injuries occurred, just needed a firm hand to hold the entire time, and was a wall-hugger. It was actually a blast, and was my first time ever roller skating. I tried not to envy/secretly hate all of the 5-10 year olds that were rocking it.




I've applied to be approved to volunteer at a dog shelter to help fill more of my time since I'm taking this semester off from school. I'd really rather be taking a few classes now, but can see that it was a good choice to hold off until the summer, so hopefully I'll be playing with puppies soon and trying not to kidnap as many as I can carry out on the first day...

I'm currently at home with my own puppies and couldn't be happier... Nothing is better than the love of a dog.


That's all I can think to write at the moment, just taking things as they come still, and trying to make the best of it all. 



No comments:

Post a Comment