Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Six Week Check-Up

Not much happened at this appointment; it was just a quick in-and-out to meet with Dr. Piper to see if any medications need to be adjusted, that the splint still fits, and that the exercises and healing are going well.

We have agreed that I need nerve block injections and have scheduled those for next week preceding my Chiro to try to kick some of my neck pain and headaches. They'll be injected into my neck and will numb the areas where I have pain in hopes of bringing the pain levels down once the anesthesia wears off. I think mine will be in the occipital nerve, but will probably have multiple done.


I'll also have my splint polished as it's a little bit sharp in a few places and has been irritating my tongue. I did want them to crimp/reposition one of my hooks on my braces because it was causing a lot of pain, but since I've started using the Orajel Antiseptic Rinse mouthwash, my mouth feels so much better. I'm using less wax and feeling a lot less pain inside my mouth.

I have been reading a lot about Magnesium supplements helping with muscle soreness and got the okay to start taking it; Dr. Piper also added Calcium and Vitamin D to my list of dailies.

Here's where I'm at as far as medications, vitamins, pain levels, and activity:

Klonopin 0.5mg 4x daily
Trazodone 1 - 1.5 tabs 1x PM
Relafen as needed for anti-inflammatory
Tylenol as needed for pain - not taken with Relafen, and not taken on consecutive days.
Glucosamine & Chondroiton
     This one, to the left is the most disgusting. Buy it in powder form if possible!
      I have to crush the pills and mix them and it tastes horrible.
Vitamin E, C
Calcium & Vitamin D
Magnesium

Each vitamin has a different dosage/amount of units I'm supposed to satisfy daily. It's a mess trying to remember it all, so I'm just going to spare myself the numbers for now.

Chiropractic treatments 1x week
Gym: I have been trying to go every day and target a different muscle group, but only choosing exercises that protect my neck from any strain. I haven't been able to do cardio or any HIIT as it's just too difficult to breathe out of my mouth.




Pain levels
Headaches are daily, mostly in my temples and between my eyes. They range from a pain level of 4-9, and I can't wait to get the nerve blocks.
I have slight muscle soreness and occasional spasms in my jaws, but pain levels here can be 2-4.
My teeth have become very sensitive from clenching and lifting out of the splint to talk, ranging from pain levels of 5-10, depending on when I retrain to talk with my teeth together, and play around with the Trazodone dosages and remember to relax my jaws.
My neck is what has been consistently bothering me still, as you've probably read over and over, but Chiropractic and getting into the gym to regain strength and correct my posture should help; it's just a matter of time.


When I am out of the splint, I can open my mouth wide, and have a good range of motion without pain, something that I haven't been able to say for myself for years.

I almost forgot - tomorrow, my breaks out of the splint increase to 45 minutes!




3 comments:

  1. It is good that had these injections for your neck pain. This, plus the chiropractic treatment, can increase your chances of healing. Thanks for sharing this, and may your pain be a thing of the past. Good day!

    Daniel Klein @ Everybody's Chiropractic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story! I am going for the same surgery with fat grafts on both sides this Wednesday in NYC. Getting nervous, can't sleep and trying to find recovery stories of people who have gone through this. My story is a bit more complicated because I have a bleeding disorder, so have to also take factor infusions every day as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvania good luck to you!! Please let me know how you are doing. I'm excited for you, you've made a very brave and life changing decision!

      Delete