Wednesday, March 4, 2015

3 Months Down!


Yesterday was my three month post-op appointment with Dr. Piper, and today is my official anniversary! I was so nervous that I've wrecked the fat grafts over these past few months by doing various things, like forgetting to put my splint in on time, bumping myself in the face, even sleeping without it twice on accident. I've been eating probably the same 8-10 foods for the last three months, swallowing pills bigger than my head, looking like a pill junkie, but "I promise they're just vitamins!" and talking 6 hours a day at work with the worst lisp ever.

It's all been worth it, and yesterday confirmed that! My fat grafts are completely fine. They're doing great, and I haven't done anything to harm them. The big news is my reward for reaching 3 months; My last splint schedule was 1 hour 15 minute breaks 5 times a day, eating foods that I can swallow, no chewing. Strict exercise regiment with the Therabite and jiggles, and I FORGOT TO MENTION the traumatic event that was BREAKING MY SPLINT IN HALF.



Side story: it had a hairline fracture down the middle from being dropped in the sink while washing, etc. and it finally happened... I was washing it, and dropped it on the floor... I just wanted to sit on the floor with my shattered splint (and life, duh) and sob. But I picked it up, super glued it back together, and went on my way. I didn't get it lined up perfectly and it was pretty painful to wear for the two weeks till my appointment.

Anyway...

New schedule! I wear the splint for 16 hours a day including sleep and can plan this however I want. I can take it out and leave it out for a few hours, as long as the times in the splint are spread out somewhat evenly and I meet the 16 hour mark.

I GET TO CHEW ONE MEAL A DAY!

Guys.

I GET TO CHEW ONE MEAL A DAY.


One soft chew meal a day, the consistency of a meatball or similar. Dr. Piper himself said hamburger. I about busted out of that exam room and sped to the nearest 5 Guys! Sooo naturally, as you can see, I had a cheeseburger and fries and it was GLORIOUS. Medium rare, no onions or crunchy lettuce, tiny bites, and chewing like a weirdo who hasn't had a burger in 5 months, but glorious. In summary, I celebrated by shotgunning a beer, eating this cheeseburger, and watching 22 Jump Street.

Like a boss.


This morning, I chose donuts as my soft chew meal. This whole weight gain thing is gonna be a breeze from here...

The only somewhat negative news I got is that my right jaw (the side that was damaged when I fell on my face, and jaw whose growth was stunted), or condyle to be more specific, has less bone growth than Dr. Piper had hoped for. I may need jaw lengthening surgery at some point, but his plan is to keep an eye on it and have that talk when we need to. Of course, I hope we don't have to, but the whole jaw is so small; it looks insane on my CT scans, and I feel like half of my face should look huge compared to the other side based one what the bones really look like.

The reason for the jaw lengthening would be because my jaw wouldn't be long enough to support and maintain a corrected bite. I'll have braces after 9 months in the splint to correct my bite (my teeth only touch on the right side to tell you how off my bite is) and my jaw just wouldn't be able to accommodate and keep my new bite aligned -- worst case, though.

I like looking at best case better, especially after how this appointment went. It was so much more than I hoped for, and I cried after I ate my cheeseburger. No one knows this. Keep it that way. 

December-March consisted of soup, scrambled eggs, baby food, yogurt, smoothies, macaroni and cheese, and eventually (when I was brave enough to try new things) beans and rice, fish, and soft veggies; all foods cut into tiny pieces and swallowed whole. Struggling with the Therabite and forcing my jaws to gain the strength to open wider and wider. Slowly increasing time out of my splint from only 15 minutes at a time to an hour and 15. Hating my voice and lisp, and any time I had to talk to anyone. Smiling and laughing, but dealing with the annoyance of my lips getting stuck on my braces (okay, that's funny). Not being able to use my tongue... You take that for granted! 

March-whenever looks like eating cheeseburgers and meatballs and sandwiches and donuts, working out without feeling like I'm going to die on the spot (you can't breathe through your mouth but through one hole in the splint), being out of my splint long enough to have a decent conversation, good night out, and sense of feeling normal. I feel less fragile and less scared that I am going to mess everything up. I feel more hopeful that things will keep getting better. And am convinced that there will be more happy crying than sad crying. :)

I'm sure it'll continue to be frustrating and hold me back at times, but I'm really happy with my journey and the realizations and experiences I've had, people I've met, things I've learned about myself, and limits I've pushed. 


Happy three months to me!

I don't look back on things till I decide to write another one of these it seems, so here's how good things have been.















And yes, those things include margaritas, llamas, guns, and cinnamon rolls the size of my head.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sara! Reading through your blog made me admire your courage to document your TMJ journey. Having pain associated with TMJ is enough to make one just lay down and cry, but not you! You chose to enjoy and live your life, and for that, bravo! You are giving others who also have TMJ the courage to do more, and keep living the life that they wanted. Good job!


    Leslie Robertson @ MasterpieceSmiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. How God used a herbal healing hand to heal me, I have suffered to extend of giving up until I came across a testimony of how a herbal doctor cured someone of Herpes virus, wondered if it was real until I contacted him, man with such gift should live long and touch many life’s with his herbal medicine I have been suffering from Herpes virus for long during the first year I was not myself anymore all I wanted was for the suffering to end this disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from the virus by Dr Egue, so I wrote to Dr Egue telling him about my Herpes virus he gave me reasons not to worry that i was going to be cured with his HERBAL OIL, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man, few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if there is still hope for me and I was tested negative if you have such sickness or any other at all like hepatitis A,B,C, CANCER ,HPV, HIV/AIDS ,DIABETES 1 AND 2, PENIS PROBLEM, WEAK ERECTION, and many more you can email him on egueofemspellhome@gmail. com or whatsapp +2347059225598 i will forever testify about your good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnose April 17,2015 and find out I'm HIV positive.I was scared because there is no cure for HIV/AIDS but today some people still don't believe that there is cure for HIV, it can only be cured through Africans root and herbs,and our doctor's here in USA few of them know about the African herbal medicine can cure Hiv but they chooses to hide it from us just to make a sales of medical expertise. I did a research online finding way to get rid of my disease,I saw a comment about a herbal doctor on internet Name Dr itua ,who has cured several disease with his powerful herbal medicine, I contacted him on whats-app, chat with him explain my self to him.He said he can cure hiv perfectly well , he gave me his request which i send to him. within 5 days he sent me the herbal medicine through ups courier delivering service And told me how to take the medicine for 2 weeks to get cured,I did for 2 weeks, within this 7 days i notice a very big change in my health and i new some thing great has happened then i went to confirm my result after finishing the herbal medicine for two weeks it was absolutely negative.The doctor who new i was hiv positive was asking me how come i am negative, what did it took to get cure and were did i get this medicine from and how did i get rid of it I told him every thing about the herbal medicine that cure me. imagine doctor telling me not to let anyone know about it,I wasn't shock though i knew they know about the herbal cure but chose to hide it in other to make sales on medicals expertise,if you are HIV positive Or other disease such
    Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease.contact Dr Itua for any kind of herbal product and remedies through Email Or Website.. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com www.drituaherbalcenter.com

    ReplyDelete